Bio - Fine Art
Fine Art Biography
Marshall Gould’s sharp, high contrast black-and-white photographic images can be characterized by diagonal framing, clean compositions, dramatic highlights and strong, luxurious shadows. Often taking documentary-style shots on location, Gould’s latest subject matter might involve a landscape of the American West, a series of equine images documenting the relationship between a mare and her newborn foal, a homeless person, or a culture/lifestyle image, making these gritty, regional works as conceptually dense as they are compositionally superb. Usually incorporating elements of the earth and/or sky, Gould’s works are about co-existence and reference the stylistic philosophies of early black-and-white “Golden Age” photography. Although most of his work is primarilyin monochrome, he does work in color, especially when shooting “Americana” images. Whatever the photographic medium, Gould continuallyaims to convey a vibrant and provocative visual narrative about the land, culture and residents of his current locale.
He has exhibited at the Agora Gallery in NYC, The Blank Wall Gallery in Athens, Greece, and The Open Shutter Gallery in Durango, Colorado. He has also received numerous honors in The Annual Black & White Spider Awards, The Annual International Color Awards, and has been frequently published in Black & White Magazine over the last five years. His fine art prints hang in dozens of homes of private clients throughout the United States.Marshall Gould was born in Providence, Rhode Island and received his Bachelor of Industrial Design from the College of Visual and Performing Arts, Syracuse University. He and his wife Becky live in Oakdale, CA., “The Cowboy Capital of The World.”
Fine Art Curriculum VitaeBlack & White Magazine
- 2013 Single Image Contest Winner in Sports Category.
- 2014 Single Image Contest Winner in Photojournalism and Cityscape Categories.
- 2014 Portfolio Contest Merit Award – Equine Series.
- 2016 Single Image Contest Winner in Animals and Surrealism Categories.
- 2017 Single Image Contest Winner in Animals Category.
- 2017 Portfolio Contest Merit Award – Yosemite Series
- 8th Annual (2013) – 5 Nominations in the Amateur Photojournalism, Fine Art, Portrait, and Wildlife Categories
- 9th Annual (2014) – 10 Nominations in the Amateur Photojournalism, Fine Art, Architectural, and Wildlife Categories
- 10th Annual (2015) – 16 Nominations in the Amateur Photojournalism, Fine Art, Architectural, Children Of The World, People, Sport and Wildlife Categories
- 11th Annual (2016) – 19 Nominations in the Amateur Photojournalism, Fine Art, Architectural, Nature, People, Still Life and Wildlife Categories
Annual International Color Awards
- 6th Annual (2012) – 1 Nomination in the Amateur Americana Category
- 7th Annual (2013) – 1 Nomination in the Amateur Americana Category
- 8th Annual (2014) – 3 Nominations and 1 Honorable Mention in the Amateur Americana Category
- 9th Annual (2015) – 18 Nominations in the Amateur Americana, Fine Art, Architectural, People and Still Life Categories. 1 Honorable Mention in the Americana Category.
- 10th Annual (2016) – 11 Nominations in the Amateur Americana, Children of The World, Nature and Sport Categories. 2 Honorable Mentions in the Americana Category.
- Open Shutter Gallery – Contemporary Fine Art Photography Durango, CO
“Tones of Black & White”
January 10 – March 5, 2014
Group Exhibition of 5 Black & White Fine Art Photographers.
- Agora Gallery, New York, NY
February 7 – February 27, 2014
Group Exhibition of Painters, Sculptors, and Photographers
- Blank Wall Gallery, Athens, Greece
April 2 – April 15, 2016
Group Exhibition of Fine Art Black & White Photographers from all over the World
“Moments in Color”
April 28 – May 11, 2017
Group Exhibition of Fine Art Color Photographers from all over the World.